>

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sixteen and WHAT???

So, it's still Baby Bump month over on this blog, and Thanks to one of our readers:
 (I am linking her blog for all to see) I was inspired to write this new blog.

The last blog discussed the controversial issue of being TOO Old to have a child. I linked up TLC's documentary on this issue 70 and Pregnant, but what about the flipside?

What is too YOUNG to have a child?
Teen pregnancy is running rampid in America. It's everywhere you turn. MTV's 16 and Pregnant has already had 3 seasons with different girls each episode, and there is usually around 10 girls each season. That's 30 girls becoming famous for getting pregnant between the ages of 15 and 17. And it's not like it has stopped there. These girls get a follow up show, magazine covers, they attend club opening events, they get boob jobs, and modeling contracts.
Isn't this strange? Is this right?
Shouldn't we be saying something else. For example:
HEY, YOU! Why didn't you wrap it up?
Didn't you have sex ed? Did you ever try to talk to your parents?


I'm so sorry for you that you were young and naive and you didn't think that this could happen to you. I really am sympathetic to these girls because Don't we all think that? We all think that bad things won't happen to us. When we are young we all get that Hercules complex... Nothing can touch us, but it can!

And, I know that right there is the whole reason for the show according to MTV and these girls. I will give them credit for the fact that they are proving over and over again that Teenagers are Not invincible and it Can happen to you because after this week I realize just about EVERY female can get pregnant LOL. And, I will also give them credit for linking up with STAYTEEN.ORG

Now, as I bring this blog to a close, I will make a confession Mrs D. and I LOVE to watch 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom.  I know this is Awful to admit, seeing as how I disagree with endorsing these girls for the choices and the mistakes they have made, but I can't stop watching. It's like watching a train derail in slow motion. You can't turn away. You know it's a complete and utter mess. You feel guilty for watching someone's demise, but it doesn't stop you. And it hasn't stopped me from watching either of these shows...I'm hooked!

So, I will once again ask these questions:
Is it Healthy?
Is it Responsible?
Is it Financially feasible?
What type of life will these children have when they grow up?
And, who will take care of them when their parents can't?

Please keep those comments coming! I'm loving the feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment